Monday, April 22, 2013

Oblivious


    Many years ago just after the wife and I had our wedding we took a little vacation to Cumberland Gap National Park, one of the more memorable moments occurred during a mid-day walk along a nature trail.  As we meandered along the twisting path enjoying the fresh mountain air, the chattering songs of the birds and the scenic beauty I noticed a long dark object lying across the path.  Yep, about 25 to 30 yards ahead of us was perhaps the longest, fattest black rat snake I had ever seen.  Being a Kentucky boy, I’ve chased down my fair share of snakes when I was younger… this one would have given me reason to pause. 

    Looking back now I don’t know why I decided to do what I did next, I guess that’s what they mean by hindsight being 20/20.  Instead of pointing the snake out to Sally at a “safe” distance I kept quiet, keeping one eye on her, one eye on the snake, just waiting for the reaction when it caught her attention.  With every step we grew closer and closer to the log of a snake directly ahead of us, I thought to myself surely she’s going to see it any moment now.  NO, it came to the last step, that’s when what we call the “RUN YOU FOOL, YOU FOOL” moment came. 

    As I mentioned this was many years ago and time has its way of distorting the past but this is how I remember what happened next.  Her next step would have been on the slumbering serpent that’s when she made eye contact with the devil himself.  She didn’t jump back, she didn’t jump towards me for protection, nope, with a continuous blood curdling scream she ran up my back and showing extraordinary agility and balance she commenced to stomping on my head and shoulders in an effort to signal to me it was time to depart the area.  NOW!!! 
(In Sally’s version, she says I squealed like a little girl, passed out and she had to carry me off the mountain… but this isn’t her blog so we’ll stick with my version).

    At some point during the commotion the snake slithered off into the brush… I’m sure to seek out a little peace and quiet away from Sally’s scream and the moans from the stomping I was taking.   To this day if I think I see a snake (even a mile away) I point it out to Sally, I see no reason for either one of us to go through that again.

    As silly as it is, this little story points out a couple of very serious errors.  First, Sally couldn’t see the trees (and the snake) for the forest, she was caught up in the moment she didn’t pay attention to what was going on in front of her.  Second and more serious, I saw what was about to happen and I didn’t speak-up.  But it was a simpler time (early 80’s) and a relatively harmless situation, that makes me question what happened during the Boston Marathon.  Of the multitude of people taking in the event with the ever present threat today no one thought to question a backpack being dropped next to them?  If in fact one was shoved into a trashcan… no one thought to question a backpack being put in it?

    It could be all my years in the military, all the Middle-Eastern, European and other deployments, but for the military through the 80’s and 90’s “See something… Say something!” and “Be aware of your surroundings!” was part of everyday life.  Since September 11, 2001 it’s been a part of everyone’s life.  I’ve heard a few murmurings that security failed (thankfully very few).  From the reports the area sweeps were conducted, the videos showed a visible/engaged presence and post attack the response was immediate and selfless.  There could have easily been a third bomb awaiting the responders, not an unheard of tactic.  The detective work in identifying, tracking and apprehending the suspects was epic to say the least.  The boots on the ground performed courageously. 
 
    If there is a failing in the security/intelligence apparatus it’s at the highest levels.  Not since the years of Nixon have the responsible agencies focus been directed to “Opponents of the Administration” over the “Enemies of the State” that present a real safety and security risk.  No administration has ever been so overt in targeting those voicing dissenting opposition, since the early days of the Obama Administration they have publically attempted to shift focus onto returning War Veterans, Christians, Pro-Life supporters, and those who believe in the Constitution as being the most concerning threat to national security today.

    They described me… I’m the threat.  Yet who placed the bombs?  Who were they warned about?  Who did they advert their attention from?  Another couple of Muslim wan-a-be Jihadist showing some love.
The “Underwear” Bomber
The “Time Square” Bomber
The Fort Hood “Workplace Violence” Shooter
And now, The “Boston Marathon” Bomb Brothers
All interested in fundamentally transforming America (I’ve heard that someplace before).

    Then to boot, we all had the opportunity to watch as more than one talking head (supposed news personalities) became almost giddy at the prospect the attack may have been conducted by a “Right-Wing” faction being April 15… Tax day.  I can only imagine their dismay and shock, a Muslim… again.
Ya think maybe it’s time to refocus???  Until then I suggest every citizen keep an eye down the path… could be a snake down yonder.

Me, an “Enemy of the State”… NEVER.
A dissenting voice of opposition…
You Bet’cha
 
The TOMCAT

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, good breakdown and analysis of situation.
    @tedscott4

    ReplyDelete