Monday, July 16, 2012

The Windows Are There For A Reason!

    I look at every day of my life as a bonus. During my time in the military I had a few opportunities to… lets say, see what’s next.  Each time I walked away without so much as a hair on my head out of place (maybe a few more gray hairs).  I’d like to share one of these times with you.

    As I’ve mentioned before I used to be a flight mechanic on the Air Force DC-9A AirEvac aircraft flying one, two or three day missions out of Scott AFB, IL.  This particular mission was a two day run, leaving SAFB very early in the morning flying directly to Guantanamo Bay NAS, Cuba to pick up patients and a few space available passengers.  At Gitmo the medical crew loaded our patients, the pilots checked the weather forecast for our next stop and I serviced the aircraft, adding few thousand pounds of jet fuel and off loaded a gallon of fresh milk.  I always took a gallon of milk for the guy’s standing by in the fire truck at Gitmo, I don’t know if they didn’t get fresh milk there but I’d always see them crack a big smile as I climbed off the jet with an ice cold gallon in my hand.  After all the exchanges (official and un-official) we continued on our way.  We made a few more stops in Puerto Rico, Florida and Virginia along our way to our final stop for the day, Andrews AFB MD.

    The following morning during the mission briefing the Pilot gave me the list of stops we would be making and the projected fuel loads for the day.  We would be making seven stops, swinging down to the gulf coast and up through the southern states, finishing up at home-station, Scott AFB.  I left the briefing to open the jet and get it ready for flight.  About 20 minutes later the medical crew arrived and began loading patients.  After a bit the Pilots arrived ready to get underway.         

    Mid way through the day we arrived at Maxwell AFB AL., the mission was going smoothly, we were running right on schedule and the weather was clear.  So far day two like day one was textbook.  I guess this should have been my clue to watch out.   We started our take-off roll down the runway, lifted off the ground and began our accent to 8,000 feet.  I normally glanced at the engine instrumentation during climb-out looking for the basics, stable exhaust pressure ratio, good oil pressure, and no spikes on the exhaust gas temperature gauges.  I don’t remember what caught my attention but I ended up not looking up from the gauges.  At the same time the pilot was changing his charts for the next station and the co-pilot was changing the radio frequency from Montgomery departure to Atlanta center for the next air traffic control (ATC) contact.  This may have only been a few short seconds but all three sets of eyes were looking inside the cockpit, none of us looking out the windows.

    Well there must have been an angel looking out for us and the angel must have knocked on the center windshield because all three of us looked up at the same time to see the bottom of a Beechcraft twin engine King Air directly in our flight path.  We were close enough that I could make out the screws on the belly panels.


    The pilots reaction was immediate, he kicked full left rudder while pushing full foreword on the yoke with about 50% left bank.  The Nightingale responded abruptly to the shift of the flight controls, nosing over and rolling to the left away from the king air.  Again with only fractions of a second passing all three of us were braced expecting to feel the wing or tail section to catch the small aircraft.  Seconds later with a sigh of relief, realizing we avoided a fatal accident the pilot leveled the jet out as the co-pilot contacted Atlanta center requesting the condition of the traffic to our 3 to 5 O’clock.   ATC responded with “What Traffic” and then after a slight pause they came back with “VFR Traffic at your 5 O’clock is clear and continuing with straight and level flight”.  VFR is the acronym for visual flight rules; the King Air was flying without ATC guidance or contact.

    At our next stop the pilots had to fill out the near miss report and report the incident to our home station command post.  The medical crew still had their hands full calming the patients and passengers that took quite a bounce in the back of the aircraft during the nose over maneuver.  Myself, I gave the jet a good once-over focusing on the exposed portion of the wing-root in the main landing gear wells and the flight control attach points, looking for any cracks or damage from the high stress maneuver.  Luckily everything checked out good.

    I’ll never know if the pilot of the king air ever saw us (I doubt it) or if he even found out how close he was to being a part of a tragedy…  For myself, from that point on I kept my eyes outside the cockpit scanning for traffic until we were at cruse altitude.  I think I even carry that habit with me when I drive, looking to side streets expecting the other drivers to pull out unexpectedly or the child in the yard to run out after a toy, even a deer popping out of the woods on the roadside.   I guess as habits go, it’s not a bad habit to have.
                                   
Till next week keep looking out
them windows…

The TOMCAT

No comments:

Post a Comment