Monday, December 31, 2012

Yep, I’m That Guy…


    I am not your average “Gun Rights” kind of guy, first of all hunting is not my cup of tea.  Not because I have anything against hunting, I just don’t have the patience for it.  I have considered taking up rabbit and squirrel hunting, I’m starting to get over-run by both and I like them fried (depending on the economy it may be an option to supplement the family budget).   No, I’m not a “Gun Rights” kind of guy, I view weapon ownership as a duty. 

    Much like military service not everyone is capable of meeting the requirements, but that being said many are capable of fulfilling this duty (or in today-speak doing their “Fair Share”). I own 5 firearms each was purchased for a specific purpose and hunting was never a consideration.

    My first consideration was the availability of ammunition, its diversity, the expense and carry/storage ability.  I settled on two types .22 cal long rifle and 12 gauge shotgun shell.  Both are available in any store that sells ammunition (around here I could pick up a box of either at the local quick stop gas station).  I have even found boxes of both in abandoned barns, seen them pushed to the back of tool box drawers, even trunks or glove compartments of junked cars in salvage yards.

     The first rifle is a scoped bolt action Remington 514 .22 cal that’s dialed in for 90-110 yards.  Using a hyper velocity round I can slap a basketball around 8 out of 10 shots.  It requires focus and a stable firing position but it’s a good distance deterrent. (Note: It could have an effective range of 140+ yards but I haven’t kept a close enough pattern for my liking beyond 110 yds. HV rounds can have stability issues due to supersonic transition).


    Second is a tube fed 10 shot semi-automatic Marlin 60 also scoped, dialed in for 40-60 yards with a golf ball sized pattern using HV rounds or a Softball sized pattern using hollow point rounds.  It gives a bit more mobility and rounds down range at a faster pace with a fair amount of distance separating you from an aggressor.


    The last .22 cal rifle is a Mossberg T715 (The same one from the story Bits of Plastic) semi-automatic 10-25 round detachable clip fed. Very lite and maneuverable.  I bought it simply for the intimidation factor, like I said in “Bits of Plastic” some people are brainwashed into thinking a scary looking gun is more dangerous…  I’ll work with that and use it to my advantage.  All in all it turned out to be an accurate little rifle set up with a red dot scope it holds a golf ball size pattern using hollow point rounds at 40 yards and closer.  The T715 allows exceptional mobility and a greater number of rounds between reloads plus reloading is quick, makes for a nice close vicinity weapon.


     Along with the .22 cal. rifles I have a Smith & Wesson 22A-1 semi-automatic sidearm for close quarter confrontation, 10 round clip fed.  Center Mass, Nuff Said…

    That’s 4 weapons with interchangeable ammunition but each with a specific purpose.  Some folks are going too balk at the .22 caliber round saying it lacks stopping power.  I tend to disagree at least when talking two to three hallow points on target but I accept that a larger chunk of lead may be nice at times.  That’s why I also have a Remington 870 Wing Master 12 gauge shot gun, 30” barrel, full choke and accepts 3” magnum shells.  Using a 1oz. deer slug, .000 or .00 buckshot it can cause significant damage at 40 yards and it’s absolutely destructive at 20 yards or closer.


    After reading the above your probably thinking “What a gun nut” but actually I only take the firearms out every three to four months, running a few rounds down each to make sure everything is operating properly, remind myself to use good shooting discipline, proper stance and breathing (I learned to shoot in the military and qualified Small Arms Expert Marksman).  After I’m satisfied with my performance, I breakdown each weapon, clean, oil, reassemble and put them away for another three to four months (its kind of a chore).

    So why have the guns?  It starts with a quote (misattributed to) WWII Japanese Admiral Yamamoto; “You can not invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass” I AM THAT RIFLE!  Then looking at tyrants through the modern era the first step in their quest for ultimate domination of the masses was to disarm them.  I AM THE ARMED MASSES!   So when foes or tyrants have cause to hesitate for the resistance they will face… Yep, I’M THAT GUY!

I wouldn’t turn my back on an AR15…
It’s Just Not in My Budget.

The TOMCAT

1 comment: