Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gone Fishing (It’s a Health Thing)

   Hi All, I hope your weekend has been good…

     Winter is rapidly coming to an end and spring is just around the corner that means one thing, its time to get the fishing equipment ready to go.  As with any activity great or small there is some expense involved.  A new spool of fishing line, hooks, sinkers, maybe some lures or bobbers, possibly some bait and of cores a fishing license.   Day one of fishing is going to cost me a minimum of say $50.  Throughout the season I will have to pickup more bait replace worn tackle so I’m looking at another $25 a month (I’ll call this the maintenance fee).  Total I expect to spend $200 to $250 this season, a decent chunk of money but a small price to me for what I get in return.     

    The amount you are willing to invest in the pursuit of your chosen activity is a personal decision based on your commitment and desire.   Myself, I really enjoy fishing very early in the morning starting at 4:00AM until about 7:30AM.  The water is calm looking like a sheet of glass, the air is cool and crisp, sounds of the crickets give way to the soft songs of birds as they greet the morning and the stars dim then disappear as the soft pastel colors of the sunrise fill the sky overhead.  I fill all is right with the world.  I become calm and relaxed, the stresses of the past week fade and some how become unimportant.

    Hay I might be onto something here.  Stress can cause high blood pressure that in-turn can lead to a stroke, heart problems or a number of other medical or mental issues. According to The Mayo Clinic “High levels of stress can lead to a temporary, but dramatic, increase in blood pressure”.  Some stress-influenced conditions include, but are not limited to:
1         Depression
2         Diabetes (I’ve already been hit with this, Type 1)
3         Hair Loss
4         Heart Disease
5         Hyperthyroidism
6         Hypertension
7         Obesity
8         Obsessive-Compulsive or Anxiety Disorder
9         Sexual Dysfunction
10     Stroke
11     Tooth and Gum Disease
12     Ulcers 
In fact, it’s been estimated that as many as 90% of doctor’s visits are for symptoms that are at least partially stress-related.  Earlier this week I watched a news segment showing a young collage student testifying before a congressional committee stating how her chosen activity (practicing breeding) was causing her and others finical hardship to the tune of $3000 over a 4 year period in LAW School and that she (and others) should be reimbursed for the cost of their chosen activity.  Ms. X never once mentioned any medical condition alleviated by participating in her chosen activity.  At least fishing could prevent a stroke by reducing stress (The local pharmacy is going to have to stock some new items).

    OK, I’m not above admitting that I may have missed something so I went to the source on the subject of practicing breeding, Planned Parenthood.  According to their web site the only 100% method of avoiding any adverse effects of sexual contact is to abstain from the activity, finical hardship $0.


Next came the use of latex condoms anything less leaves the participants exposed to HIV, Hepatitis, and a whole host of other STD’s.  Alright the argument is some will engage in sexual activity regardless so protection needs to be provided.  The condom is the best/only protection (according to Planed Parenthood).


So what do you get for $3000?  Another web search… I found a 12 pack of name-brand lubricated, ribbed, ultra-sensitive condoms priced at $3.67.
                                                                               4 Years
$3000/$3.67= 817 packs X 12 = 9804 condoms / (4 X 365) = 6.72 condoms used per day.

That’s some busy participants…  Actually you could go to any junior high school and probably get them for free.

    The young lady must be a first year law student when a lowly mechanic put together a better argument (in about 1.5 hours) for a medical prescription requiring insurance to pay for fishing tackle.  Look I don’t care what activities you get into (as long as your not hurting others) me, my wife and our children spent a large portion of our lives defending the freedoms of others (me and the wife are both retired military, our children grew up moving base to base including overseas) and again I would stand by your side to fight for your freedoms…  Just don’t demand that I pay for your choices.  Its time to stand up, pull up your big boy (or big girl) pants and be accountable for your choices.  But if Congress would like to hear my testimony, a new BASS BOAT could really improve my health J      


From fishing to condoms… Who Da’ thunk that’d happen?

Side Thought: For years Liberals have been screaming “Keep Government Out of the Bedroom” but as soon as they have to pay for their choices they call for the same Government to step right back through the bedroom door.  Watch what you ask for… You just might get it.  Have you ever seen a government agency shrink in size or scope?   

Hope to see you next week

The TOMCAT                     

No comments:

Post a Comment