Sunday, April 15, 2012

Through a child’s eyes

Hi I’m little Johnny, I’m 9-years-old, I live in Small-town USA.  I like to play with my dog Rex, ride my bike, play baseball and go fish’n; I really really like going fish’n. 
    I woke up this morning and the sun was shining on my face through my bedroom window.  What a nice day, I think I’m going ta go fish’n. I got dressed in my play clothes and ran down to the kitchen to get some breakfast.  Mommy was sitting at the kitchen table with a pile of papers and she looked kind’a strange, she looked kind’a sad.  Mommy can I have some frosty flakes?  She said “We don’t have any milk Johnny”.  That’s OK I’ll eat’em anyway.  We’ve been running out of milk and stuff lately.  After I finished my frosty flakes I started out the door to get my fish’n pole and Rex.  When I went into the shed my daddy was looking at his new 4 wheeler, he just got it last weekend. When I get a little older I hope he’ll let me drive it.  I’m going to the pond daddy ya want to go with?  He said “No Johnny I ‘m going to go out on the 4-wheeler”.  Daddies been home more for the past months, he use to be gone ta work most days but he doesn’t seem to have to go anymore, its nicer ta have him home.  Me and Rex started off for the pond but we had to stop off at the old dead tree to find some worms first.  Daddy use to get me a little tub of worms from the store before but hasn’t been getting them lately, he said he doesn’t have the money for them now.
    After a few hours of playing around the pond I figured it was getting to be time for me and Rex to go home.  I couldn’t catch any fish anyway cause I only found three worms and the little fishes stole them pretty quickly.  As I got closer to the house I seen a big truck out front with two working men and a policeman they were pulling daddy’s new truck onto their big truck.  Daddy’s truck must be broken and their going to fix it, he’ll sure be happy.  When I went into the house mommy was sitting on the couch, her head was down and it looked like she was crying.  What’s the matter mommy?  “Nothing Johnny, go wash up and I’ll get lunch ready”.  Yum, mommy made me some tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, that’s the best lunch of all.  All of the sudden we heard the front door slam and my daddy yell “Where’s my truck?” mommy told me to stay in the kitchen as she ran to the front room.
    I could hear mommy and daddy talking, she told him they came and took it and that the bank also called about the mortgage.   Daddy sounded angry, he said some words I didn’t understand then he said he would get another cash advance on the credit cards.  Mommy didn’t sound happy she said the bills are piling up and that they need to get a handle on them.  I’m kind-a scared because I’m not sure what they’re talking about, I wish they would talk to me…  Then I heard mommy ask “Where are you going?” Daddy said “You’re always nagging me!  I’ve got to get out of here for awhile.  I’m going to meet up with some of the guy’s at Ray’s to play cards.”  I hope he’s not going to be gone too long, baseball sign ups are tonight.


    Sorry about the dark story but you’ll have that with me sometimes.  A dysfunctional situation, a dysfunctional family.  A man indulging his whims without regard to his family, a new truck, 4-wheeler, gambling.  A woman incapable or unwilling to stop the madness.  A young child kept in the dark that senses something’s wrong he’s just not sure what because he’s not a part of the conversation on the family’s predicament.  If any of us knew a family like this we could see the problems, we would know help is needed, some may even speak up and get involved.  The sad thing is we all know a family like this.  The whole world is standing by watching as this family self-destructs.  I’m talking about us, the United States of America!

(Daddy)
  President Obama entered office under the banner of “Hope and Change” but as soon as he took charge he began indulging his every whim.  A health care bill that “Needed to be passed so we could see what was in it”.  A massive stimulus package for shovel ready jobs that “Weren’t as shovel ready” as they planned.  A green energy goal that is unattainable.  Financial backing for failing companies belonging to his campaign contributors.  And the list goes on.  By the way Mr. Obama didn’t inherit anything from the Bush administration, He applied for the job!  He just didn’t know how much he didn’t know.  He failed to do the one thing that every family facing financial difficulties has to do first, SET-UP A BUDGET!  To date his administration still hasn’t come up with a workable budget.  What did he do? In his words he “Un-patriotically raised the national debit”.  He went for another cash advance on the nation’s credit card.   

(Mommy)
  Senate and Congress were complicit for two years.  Then with the mid-term elections they began to stand up to the madness somewhat but still they went for backroom negotiations and this for that deals.  If it’s not a matter of national security they should sit down at the table with the cameras and microphones on for negotiations.  If a proposed bill, law or regulation is wrong say No,No,No. Afraid of being called a “Do nothing Congress” I’d rather be called names than do harm to our nation.  Remember nothing disinfects like the light of day.    

(Little Johnny)
  The American Public for the most part was happy to go along with the “Hope and Change” rhetoric and the we’re all going to get something for nothing promises.  Well guess what, sometimes even a 9 year-old boy has to grow up fast.  We’re not children anymore open your eyes open your ears and start educating yourselves on the truly dire predicament we are allowing our nation to fall into.  Climbing out of this hole we’re in is going to be messy and we’re all going to get dirty.  It’s not going to be the rich paying their “Fair Share” it needs to be every man, woman and child pulling together.


Again, sorry for the dark subject (Amber).  There will be an additional posting that should be ready Thursday, a bit of a follow up to this.  Still doing a bit of research and fact checking.  I promise to make next Sundays posting more up lifting or at least give a little chuckle.

Thank you for spending a bit of your day with me

The TOMCAT

No comments:

Post a Comment