Monday, April 23, 2012

What every Sergeant knows

    In the Air Force (and I’m sure every other branch of military service) as you progress in rank you are sent to different professional military education academies.  The courses last from four to eight weeks and covered military organization, management, problem solving and people skills.  The intensity of these courses was dependent on your rank level.  Airmen (young enlisted troops 1-4 years in service) may only get a basic overview so they have an understanding of what’s going on around them.  For Non-Commissioned Officers (Sergeants with 4-12 years of service) the education intensified to a working level, giving you the tools and knowledge to apply the lessons to everyday situations.  The courses for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers (12+ years of service) not only enhanced their skills but also worked towards them being effective in building these skills in their subordinates. 
    Of all the subjects I studied in the various academies I attended by far the one that taught me the most was leadership.  To be really honest with you the opportunities to provide true leadership in the military are few, mostly it’s just management.  Our goals, our missions were dictated to us.  We just had to make it happen.  In my twenty years in the Air Force I met and worked with many great managers and I respect every one of them but I only met a few great LEADERS.                  
    What makes a leader?  Don’t confuse this position with Director, King, Emperor or Lord of the manner.  A leader keeps the group focused on goals and priorities.  You notice I said group not followers (a follower thinks and does what they are told).  A leader is the central contact point for all to bring problems, questions and ideals.  A true leader fosters teamwork and continually cheers the efforts of all team members emphasizing the importance of each.  As a leader you are subordinate to the group as a whole, you honestly inform the group of the situation and gain a consciences of actions to be taken and goals to strive for.  Leaders do not interject their personal goals or beliefs onto the group.  They build trust and confidence in the group’s direction.  Leaders provide an open forum for honest productive discussion and or debate in maters affecting the group.  As a leader you would not place your goals, ideas, desires or needs above the group (if anything yours takes a back seat).  Real leaders do not use their position or the positions trust to manipulate the group into following avenues they would otherwise not take by means of fear, cohesion or bribery.  Leader doesn’t really sound very fun does it? Well a true leader deflects prays for achievements onto others and takes responsibility for failures and shortfalls.  Leader is just a fancy term for cheerleader and wiping-boy all rolled into one.

    I’ve been called on the carpet a time or two, for good things and bad (Colonel H. would add a couple of zeros to my 1 or 2, Sorry Boss).  I’ve always given myself a personal litmus test before speaking.  When it was for something good I’d use he, she, them or they.  If it was for a bad reason then it was I, me or myself.  I use this test anytime I listen to someone who presumes themselves to be a leader.  It’s been very accurate in separating leaders from posers in as little as a sentence or two.  Posers always get it backwards…  Next time someone’s giving a speech or a press conference put them to the test & see what you think.         
   
    I wish our elected officials would read this each day as they enter the halls of government to do as they say, “The Peoples Work”.  The thing is we have a lot of self-glorifying managers but very few leaders in government today.                                


I’ve got nothing burning for mid-week so hopefully I have something good for next Sunday; ya never know what’ll float to the surface in my mind.  We’ll seeJ

Later Days
The TOMCAT

No comments:

Post a Comment