Monday, February 18, 2013

The Good Dog


    I’ve spent two thirds of my adult life standing on the proverbial wall, two thirds of my adult life guarding the proverbial gate to the city.  I’ve jumped many times to the late night call, leaving my wife and children with little more than a light kiss upon their cheeks and a soft whisper “Daddy will be back”.  I pushed myself further than I ever imagined I could go. I endured the hot and cold climates of far off lands.  I endured scant comforts and limited basic necessities many times.  I never thought to question what I endured or why I need to be separated from my family for months.  After all, I was a “Good Dog” guarding the flock.

    Those years are gone, now I’m an old dog, a bit slower, a bit tired, content to lay quietly in the pasture with the flock but still willing to fight if the wolf comes-a-prowling.  The flock has been protected from the dangers that await them just beyond the edge of their little field, they do not know the fights the good dogs have waged and continue to wage for them.  They know nothing of the sacrifices that have been made or will be asked.  Now because I’m old and lay quietly some of the sheep of the flock feel the need to step on me, push me, and disrespect me.  Never once does the thought cross their mind as they harass me, that although I have spent years protecting them, I’m more a-kin to the wolf than the sheep…  If the good dog is lying quietly, maybe it’s best to leave it be.     
    I wrote this little passage as a comment to an essay by William A. Levinson (Armed Citizens are Responsible Citizens) posted on the American Thinker web page.  Mr. Levinson began with a rebuttal to the speech supporting gun control given by Mrs. Gabrielle Giffords (former D-AZ Rep. and shooting victim).  He recounted three examples of law abiding armed citizens stepping in at great personal risk to put a stop to the mayhem they had walked into.  He later describes these heroes as “Sheep Dogs at Need”, non-professional protectors of society.  All societies have their professional “Sheep Dogs”. Soldiers, police, firefighters and EMS, people who train and are paid to protect society or “The Flock” but the “sheep dog at need” chooses to protect or aid out of a sense of responsibility.  That’s not to say the professional doesn’t share that same sense of responsibility (the pay normally isn’t sufficient compensation) but they are well aware of the risk they may face daily.
    Later in his essay, Mr. Levinson made a simple statement that gave me an insight into the dramatic polarization we see in our nation, “Sheep Don’t Tell Sheep Dogs What to Do” that’s what pulled the comment from me.  As demands for restrictions on types of weapons or capacity are bantered about, sales skyrocket.  Who are the ones really calling for these restrictions, the sheep of the flock looking for a sense of safety and conformity?  Or is it possible there is a wolf in sheep’s clothing stirring amongst the flock, leading the calls… after all, sheep are sheep, they follow and do as they are told.
    The call has gone out before, and it’s in place in certain areas where the sheep dogs have been rendered toothless  (Chicago comes to mind, police have announced they will no longer respond to 911 calls deemed less serious).  Without failure, every time the prospect of facing resistance has been eliminated the wolves of the world have claimed the pastures for themselves… and lead the sheep to slaughter.

    So be it the sheep or the wolf calling for the DOG’s of the Nation to conform, transform, and become sheep… I have one thought for them as they watch the sale of weapons and ammunition continue at record pace, just consider it the warning glint of a strong and sharp fang.

    Many of you would have expected to be reading about O’s State of the Union speech… Sorry, but it sounded like the same old campaign mode BS he’s been spewing for the past five years (he needs some new writers or at least keep them away from the copy machine).  He did bring up a new hairball idea, now he wants to expose 4 year-old children to the public school indoctrination system.  I guess parents are filling their children’s heads with the wrong ideas and he needs to get to them sooner.  It takes a lot of effort to bring up compliant, submissive, dependent “Sheeple”.   There was one young pup (7 year-old boy) expelled from Mary Blair Elementary School, in Loveland CO.  His crime? He tossed an imaginary grenade into a box that contained make-believe evil forces; the young pup was saving the world.  A pup at play, a natural “Sheep Dog” in-the-making if I ever saw one!

Keep it up PUP
The TOMCAT
 

Link to Mr. Levinson full essay:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/02/armed_citizens_are_responsible_citizens.html

No comments:

Post a Comment